Building the Nobel Gundam Girl Cosplay. {Pic Heavy}

A few months ago there was a convention dedicated to Gundam, called G-Con. I wanted to cosplay for this, but didn't have any Gundam cosplays, so decided to build one and I'm going to go through the progress (ish) with you all.

I am Gundam!


I decided I wanted to do a Gundam Girl version of the Nobel Gundam, from G Gundam.

After picking which suit to build, I looked on Google for reference photos as well as drawing up a few ideas for how I wanted it to look.

Look how good I am at drawing and making plans.

My partner helped me out a lot with this project, to the point of almost taking over, and he started it off by doing the shoulder pieces. I worked on the hand panels while he was doing this.




We decided to work on the rest of the arms once we were done with these parts. I even padded out the arm pieces so they'd be comfortable enough to wear all day.



How cool is it starting to look already?

After a few days of starting the project, we had finished the arms completely and were moving onto the torso part of it. The torso was harder as we needed to to get it to fit comfortably around my body. This look a lot of cutting out and masking tape around to get it all right.





A lot of glue was used durting all of this. Once happy with the torso we started to make the details, like making it look like a sailor uniform and making the bow.




We even started on the head piece durin that, which involved a cheap pair of headphones, cardboard and a lot of double sided tape. Once happy with all the little bits, I started with the painting while my partner decided how to do the belt.




I'm not too bad at painting, don't you know? So while I was going all that, the partner came up with an idea for the belt, got all the pieces made and thew them at me to paint.


Warning: If using garden paints, like I did for the belt pieces, make sure to cover up or not to get any on your skin. I got a small drop on my hand, tried to wash it off and it spread that much that I ended up looking like a Smurf.

During all this my wig arrived and because it was very long, it needed a good brush, as you can see from the photo, it took me a good 10 minutes to detangle it. I also needed to cut the fringe, which you'll see later in the post.


I left the wig on that chair for days because I didn't want it to tangle again, then I platted it. Now back to the suit...

Half way through assembling!
Since we were working our way down, we started on the legs, which was basically, just rolling cardboard around my legs and taping it together to see if I could slide them on and off. Once happy with that we glued them together and started working on the shoes. Sadly, I didn't take many photos of these parts.



Seriously, this is all I really got. After this, we did more painting and started to slowly assemble the suit, which I was very excited about!





When we glued everything together I started to add the finishing touches to things.


I really enjoyed making and wearing the head piece btw. Now it was done there was only one more thing to do, that's right, putting it all on and doing a quick test run of the whole thing, to make sure I could move properly in it all and that nothing would fall apart when I moved.



It took us around a month to make and we finished it the day before the con and luckily it worked well, movement wasn't too stiff and it was comfortable enough to wear for the whole day. This is the best cosplay I've ever done and I haven't as happy with one as I have with this one.


I'll post about the con next time, so until then, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment